What is glutamine?
Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid and it is the most abundant amino acid in the body being involved in more metabolic processes than any other amino acid. Being non-essential it can be made in the body and large amounts can be produced in muscle cells. With excessive stress physiological or mental (in any form) insufficient glutamine may be produced in the body and more glutamine is needed and supplementation is advised.
It is found in high-protein foods such as meat, fish, beans, wheat germ and dairy products.
Functions of L-Glutamine:
Energy: When glucose is not readily available in the body, it can convert glutamine into glucose. This can also occur in the brain.
Gut health: The cells of the small and large intestine use glutamine as a fuel source promoting gut mucosal integrity. Healthy maintenance of the villi which line the intestines is dependent the presence of glutamine as a fuel source. This assists with the prevention of bacteria infiltrating the cell walls and preventing bacterial translocation.
Immune function: L-Glutamine provides a major fuel source for immune cells hence essential for the healthy function of white blood cells
Muscle repair and growth: L-Glutamine is essential for wound healing, chronic bowel disease, sepsis, immune disorders, brain stressors and with increased metabolic needs resulting from long periods of physical training.
Brain health and stability: L-Glutamine is known in balancing brain health and is a major fuel source for the brain.
Anti-inflammatory effect: Research has shown that L-Glutamine can have an anti-inflammatory effect.
Evidence has shown that glutamine supplementation may assist with:
– Excessive stress of any nature.
– Gut and colon issues: eg:
* Crohn’s disease: If a patient is on indomethacin then oral glutamine can prevent gut permeability associated with this medication.
* Celiac disease: Glutamine supplementation can help these patients due to their experiencing protein losses and repairing gut health.
* Short bowel disease: It has been shown that with l-glutamine there has been enhanced nutrient absorption. Glutamine may reduce diarrhea symptoms in patients with short bowel disease because it aids in the re-absorption of sodium and water.
* Gastritis: Gastritis is a broad term for inflammation of the stomach lining. Many factors contribute to the cause of this condition and, in some cases, it may lead to an ulcer. Glutamine has been shown to be helpful in the healing process.
– Cancer: Used as a mouth rinse, glutamine may offer some relief to cancer patients with mucositis
– Major illness/surgery: Glutamine (often combined with other nutrients) might be useful as a nutritional supplement for people undergoing recovery from major surgery or critical illness.
– Alcoholism: Glutamine assists with control of these cravings and mental stability.
– Brain health/trauma/strokes etc.
Directions for use:
Adjust dosage to the requirements as needed. Oral L-Glutamine is normally well tolerated.
1g – 45g/day can be used for the specific condition to be treated. High dosages should be with the advice of a health care provider.
For serious health issues:
L-Glutamine should be used with caution and under medical supervision in the following
– Persons hypersensitive to monosodium glutamate (MSG).
– Using epileptic drugs. Many anti-epilepsy drugs work by blocking glutamate stimulation in the brain, high dosages of glutamine may overwhelm these drugs and pose a risk to people with epilepsy.
– On protein restricted diets ie end-stage liver or renal diseases.
– If pregnant, nursing, have any medical condition or taking any medications it is advised to consult your healthcare practitioner before taking this supplement.
If you are on any medication or suffering from any medical condition, it is advisable to seek medical advice before starting any new medicine, supplement or remedy. Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
All Sally T. Products which are nutritional are non-returnable.
|Active Ingredient||Grams per Container|
|Pure L-Glutamine Powder||150|